Just found this interesting book chapter Green IS: Building Sustainable Business Practices that overviews the technological and systems perspectives of green IT. It’s a useful review of how to think about the issues for students and managers:
• Understand the need for sustainability
• Know the difference between green Information Systems (IS) and green Information Technology (IT)
• Use the u-factors to analyze how IS can support a green physical system
• Apply a framework to identify opportunities for green IS and green IT
• Understand the need to align corporate and IS green strategies
• Understand three different approaches to ecological thinking
I’m glad to see that others are beginning to realize just how important this issue is, writing about it, and trying to shape minds.